10 facts about Father’s Day | 10Best
10 facts about Father’s Day | 10Best 10 facts about Father’s Day | 10BestIn honor of fathers everywhere, here are ten facts about the day we spend celebrating them.
1. Father’s Day falls on every third Sunday in June.
2. There are more than 72.2 million dads in the United States.
3. Sonora Smart Dodd, who was raised by a widower, was inspired by Mother’s Day to seek out a day to honor fathers.
4. The first Father’s Day took place on June 19, 1910 in Spokane.
5. President Ricard Nixon proclaimed Father’s Day a federal holiday in 1972.
6. Father’s Day was almost canceled when a movement arose to establish a combined holiday known as Parents’ Day.
7. The necktie is consistently the most popular gift.
8. In parts of Europe and Latin America, fathers are celebrated on St. Joseph’s Day, which falls on March 19.
9. In Thailand, the king’s birthday determines Father’s Day and is celebrated by donating blood and releasing captive animals.
10. According to ‘Fortune,’ Americans will spend a record $16 billion on gifts for Father’s Day this year.